Monday, November 14, 2011

Creme Brulee


It has been a busy few weeks here at the Warner household! While I've been cooking and crafting up a storm, time to post has been limited with traveling and visits from family and friends. The good news is that I have lots of recipes and projects to share over the next few weeks!

As suggested by my friend Betsy, the homemade vanilla extract mentioned in my first post makes excellent creme brulee. Just thinking about the creamy pudding makes my mouth water! I knew I wanted to make some, as a treat for Betsy and myself, but it would be another month before my homemade vanilla extract would be ready.

Luckily, amazing vanilla extract can be bought at the grocery store. I love the depth of flavor of Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract. It's a bit pricey but I wouldn't use anything else (beside my own extract, of course) for such a vanilla-reliant recipe.


Here is the simple, yet delicious recipe. Thanks to my mother-in-law for this one.

Creme Brulee
Serves 6-8

2 C whipping cream
5 egg yolks (save the whites for omlettes or meringues)
1/2 C sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp Grand Marnier (optional)
Sugar in the Raw for topping

Preheat oven to 275 degrees.

Combine all ingredients, except Sugar in the Raw. Stir with a wire whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth. Pour into round or oval individual baking dishes (I filled 8 nicely). Place dishes in a large roasting or broiling pan - a 9x13 pan would also work for this. Fill pan with warm water until it reaches 1/2 inch up the sides of the baking dishes.


Carefully place the pan in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes at 275 degrees. The custard should be just a little wiggly (almost set). Cool the custards in the pan still filled with water. Remove from pan when cool. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours and up to 5 days.

When ready to serve, sprinkle each custard with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of Sugar in the Raw. Torch until golden brown. Let stand 3-5 minutes to let sugar harden.

No comments:

Post a Comment