Sunday, June 10, 2012

Baby Succulents in Crafty Pots


After giving my houseplants haircuts, I was left with several cuttings of jade branches.  I didn't want to throw them away.  They were too beautiful and so small.  With a little time and a small amount of money, I figured these baby succulents would make great gifts.  So far I have given 2 away and the new owners adore them!  Not only are the pots cute and fun, but jades are some of the easiest plants to care for.  

Materials:
Several small (4") pots
Callused jade cuttings
Ribbon of your choosing - I used 3/4" satin in teal
 3/4" - 1" buttons
Double-sided tape


I filled my pots with soil before adding the decorations.  I didn't want to get the pot dirty and this allowed me to clean off any spots with a damp rag.  You could certainly fill the pots later, just be careful not to spill any dirt on the ribbon.

Here's how easy this was - I used double-sided tape on the ribbon, adhered it to the edge of the pot, placed the button over the unfinished edge using the same double-sided tape, and viola! The pot became a work of art. 

Carefully place your callused jade babies (see this post on propagating house plants for more information) in the soil.  The jades will be a bit wobbly until they establish roots, so secure them with a popsicle stick or anything else you can find that is pretty.  Since I was giving these away as gifts, I thought it would be a good idea to include some directions with the plant.  I wrote a little note:


If you decide not to give a note or if you are keeping the cuttings for yourself, just make sure that the jade is kept in a small pot for the first year.  Like most plants, the jade likes to secure its roots in a small space before being introduced to a new environment.  You may need to water the jade more then once a week as it establishes itself.  Don't let the leaves shrivel; this is usually a sign that the jade is not getting enough water.  

Have fun potting!  As always, feel free to leave me comments or suggestions!  I love hearing from you.  


Even Ginny likes them!

No comments:

Post a Comment